The Life We Bury
Book Club Questions
- How did you experience the book? Were you immediately drawn into the story—or did it take you a while? Did the book intrigue, amuse, disturb, alienate, irritate, or frighten you?
- What aspects of the novel did the author draw from to come up with the title for The Life We Bury?
- Which character, if any, did you identify with the most? Why?
- Was there a particular scene that resonated with you or stayed with you after you finished the novel?
- How did you feel about the character of Carl Iverson when he was first introduced?
- Would you say that the story is plot driven or character driven? In other words, do events unfold quickly? Or is more time spent developing characters' inner lives? Does it make a difference to your enjoyment?
- How does guilt affect or influence the various characters?
- What would you say are Joe's strongest character traits?
- If you could change the character of Joe Talbert, what would you change?